Things you didn’t know your Apple earphones could do
If you own an iPhone or iPod you are no doubt familiar with the all-white Apple EarPods, or EarBuds from the earlier generations, that came with your purchase. Many people only use their EarPods to occasionally listen to music, and others even forego them completely in favour of other brands.
What you may not know is that those bland-looking EarPods are not only earphones but also a remote for your iPhone. Let us uncover the hidden features that could make your life much easier when using Apple earphones.
But before we start, let’s go over the three areas on Apple EarPods that you need to know for using these hidden features:
The “+” or volume-up button (used to increase your phone’s volume)
The “-” or volume-down button (used to decrease your phone’s volume)
The centre button
Now for the hidden features:
- If you are listening to music, you can press the centre button to either play or pause the current track. This also works when watching YouTube videos.
- To skip a song, quickly double click the centre button.
- To fast-forward a song, click the centre button twice. On the second click, hold the button in until you are at the place in the song you want to be.
- To rewind a song, click the centre button three times. Hold the button in on the third click, hold in the button until the song is sufficiently rewinded.
- If you receive an incoming call while you have the EarPods in, you can simply click the centre button once to answer the call.
- If you want to ignore an incoming call, click and hold the centre button until you hear two beeps. These two beeps confirm that the call has gone through to voicemail.
- If you are already on a call when a new call comes in, simply click on the centre button once to switch between the active call and the new call. If you want to end the new call, click and hold the centre button for 2 seconds.
- You can take photos using your EarPods by clicking the “+” or volume-up button to release the shutter.
Not everyone owns just Apple products, some people may, for example have an Apple iPhone and a Samsung tablet. A useful fact to know is that Apple EarPods can be used with phones, tablets and other devices that are not made by Apple because of its versatile jack and the hidden features can still be accessed.